1. Kampf G, Todt D, Pfaender S, Steinmann E. Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents. J Hospital Infect 2020; 104(3): 246-51.
2. Shakiba M, Nazari SSH, Mehrabian F, Rezvani SM, Ghasempour Z, Heidarzadeh A. Seroprevalence of COVID-19 virus infection in Guilan province, Iran. MedRxiv 2020; 27(2): 636.
3. Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia. New England J Med 2020; 382: 1199-1207.
4. Lan L, Xu D, Ye G, Xia C, Wang S, Li Y, et al. Positive RT-PCR test results in patients recovered from COVID-19. Jama 2020; 7(11): 549117.
5. Rynda-Apple A, Robinson KM, Alcorn JF. Influenza and bacterial superinfection: illuminating the immunologic mechanisms of disease. Infect Immunity 2015; 83(10): 3764-70.
6. Wilson R, Dowling R, Jackson A. The biology of bacterial colonization and invasion of the respiratory mucosa. Eur Respiratory J 1996; 9(7): 1523-30.
7. Paget C, Trottein F. Mechanisms of bacterial superinfection post-influenza: a role for unconventional T cells. Frontiers Immunol 2019; 10: 336.
8. Velavan TP, Meyer CG. The COVID‐19 epidemic. Tropical Med Int Health 2020; 25(3): 278.
9. Agaba P, Tumukunde J, Tindimwebwa J, Kwizera A. Nosocomial bacterial infections and their antimicrobial susceptibility patterns among patients in Ugandan intensive care units: a cross sectional study. BMC Res Notes 2017; 10(1): 349.
10. Rawson TM, Moore LS, Zhu N, Ranganathan N, Skolimowska K, Gilchrist M, et al. Bacterial and fungal co-infection in individuals with coronavirus: A rapid review to support COVID-19 antimicrobial prescribing. Clin Infect Dis 2020; 71(9): 2459-68.
11. Medell M, Medell M, Martinez A, Valdes R. Characterization and sensitivity to antibiotics of bacteria isolated from the lower respiratory tract of ventilated patients hospitalized in intensive care units. Brazilian J Infect Dis 2012; 16(1): 45-51.
12. Hendaus MA, Jomha FA, Alhammadi AH. Virus-induced secondary bacterial infection: a concise review. Therapeutics Clin Risk Manag 2015; 11: 1265.
13. Zhu N, Zhang D, Wang W, Li X, Yang B, Song J, et al. A novel coronavirus from patients with pneumonia in China, 2019. New England J Med 2020; 382: 727-733.
14. Phelan AL, Katz R, Gostin LO. The novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China: challenges for global health governance. Jama 2020; 323(8): 709-10.
15. Truog RD, Mitchell C, Daley GQ. The toughest triage—allocating ventilators in a pandemic. New England J Med 2020; 382(21): 1973-5.
16. Hunter DJ. Covid-19 and the stiff upper lip—The pandemic response in the United Kingdom. New England J Med 2020; 382(16): e31.
17. Gautret P, Lagier J-C, Parola P, Meddeb L, Mailhe M, Doudier B, et al. Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial. Int J Antimicrobial Agents 2020; 56(1): 105949.
18. Wang Z, Yang B, Li Q, Wen L, Zhang R. Clinical features of 69 cases with coronavirus disease 2019 in Wuhan, China. Clin Infect Dis 2020; 71(15): 769-77.
19. Shenoy S, Taruna Yadav RM. Radhakrishna M. The antibiotic susceptibility patterns of uropathogenic Escherichia coli, with special reference to the fluoroquinolones. J Clin Diagnostic Res 2013; 7(6): 1027.
20. Vellinga A, Tansey S, Hanahoe B, Bennett K, Murphy AW, Cormican M. Trimethoprim and ciprofloxacin resistance and prescribing in urinary tract infection associated with Escherichia coli: a multilevel model. J Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 2012; 67(10): 2523-30.
21. Towns ML, Jarvis WR, Hsueh PR. Guidelines on blood cultures. Journal of Microbiology, Immunol Infect 2010; 43(4): 347-9.
22. Weinstein MP, Lewis JS. The clinical and laboratory standards institute subcommittee on antimicrobial susceptibility testing: background, organization, functions, and processes. J Clin Microbiol 2020; 58(3).
23. Esper FP, Spahlinger T, Zhou L. Rate and influence of respiratory virus co-infection on pandemic (H1N1) influenza disease. J Infect 2011;63(4):260-6.
24. Rice TW, Rubinson L, Uyeki TM, Vaughn FL, John BB, Miller III RR, et al. Critical illness from 2009 pandemic influenza A (H1N1) virus and bacterial co-infection in the United States. Crit Care Med 2012; 40(5): 1487.
25. Ripa M, Galli L, Poli A, Oltolini C, Spagnuolo V, Mastrangelo A, et al. Secondary infections in patients hospitalized with COVID-19: incidence and predictive factors. Clin Microbiol Infect 2021; 27(3): 451-7.
26. Zhang H, Zhang Y, Wu J, Li Y, Zhou X, Li X, et al. Risks and features of secondary infections in severe and critical ill COVID-19 patients. Emerg Microbes Infect 2020; 9(1): 1958.
27. Kim D, Quinn J, Pinsky B, Shah NH, Brown I. Rates of co-infection between SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory pathogens. Jama 2020; 323(20): 2085-6.
28. Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, Qu J, Gong F, Han Y, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet 2020; 395(10223): 507-13.
29. Goyal P, Choi JJ, Pinheiro LC, Schenck EJ, Chen R, Jabri A, et al. Clinical characteristics of Covid-19 in New York city. New England J Med 2020;382(24):2372-4.
30. Akova M. Epidemiology of antimicrobial resistance in bloodstream infections. Virulence 2016; 7(3): 252-66.
31. Johnson HD, Sholcosky D, Gabello K, Ragni R, Ogonosky N. Sex differences in public restroom handwashing behavior associated with visual behavior prompts. Perceptual Motor Skills 2003; 97(3 Pt 1): 805-10.
32. Sharifipour E, Shams S, Esmkhani M, Khodadadi J, Fotouhi-Ardakani R, Koohpaei A, et al. Evaluation of bacterial co-infections of the respiratory tract in COVID-19 patients admitted to ICU. BMC Infectious Dis 2020;20(1):1-7.
33. Nori P, Cowman K, Chen V, Bartash R, Szymczak W, Madaline T, et al. Bacterial and fungal coinfections in COVID-19 patients hospitalized during the New York City pandemic surge. Infect Control Hospital Epidemiol 2021;42(1):84-8.
34. Bhatt PJ, Shiau S, Brunetti L, Xie Y, Solanki K, Khalid S, et al. Risk Factors and Outcomes of Hospitalized Patients With Severe Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Secondary Bloodstream Infections: A Multicenter Case-Control Study. Clin Infect Dis 2020;72(12):e995-1003.
35. Neill JO. Antimicrobial resistance: tackling a crisis for the health and wealth of nations the review on antimicrobial resistance chaired. Review Paper-Tackling a Crisis for the Health and Wealth of Nations: HM Government Wellcome Trust; 2014. p. 1-20.
36. World Health Organization. Antimicrobial Resistance 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/ news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antimicrobial-resistance.
37. Adams JG, Walls RM. Supporting the health care workforce during the COVID-19 global epidemic. Jama 2020; 323(15): 1439-40.
38. WHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 3 March 2020. Available at: https://www.who.int/dg/ speeches/detail/ who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020. Accessed March 13, 2020.