1. Watanabe M. Smoking: additional burden on aging and death. Genes Environ 2016; 38(1): 3.
2. Cosnes J. Smoking and Diet: Impact on Disease Course? Dig Dis 2016; 34(1-2): 72-7.
3. Wieshammer S, Dreyhaupt J. Smoking exposure, loss of forced expiratory volume in one second and the risk of lung cancer among patients with malignant disease who present with cardiac or pulmonary symptoms: a cross-sectional study. Tob Induc Dis 2017; 15: 16.
4. Kasajova P, Holubekova V, Mendelova A, Lasabova Z, Zubor P, Kudela E, et al. Active cigarette smoking and the risk of breast cancer at the level of N-acetyltransferase 2 (NAT2) gene polymorphisms. Tumour Biol 2016; 37(6): 7929-37.
5. Sharp L, McDevitt J, Brown C, Comber H. Smoking at diagnosis significantly decreases 5-year cancer-specific survival in a population-based cohort of 18 166 colon cancer patients. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2017; 45(6): 788-800.
6. Weinberger AH, Gbedemah M, Wall MM, Hasin DS, Zvolensky MJ, Chaiton M, et al. Depression Among Non-Daily Smokers Compared to Daily Smokers and Never-Smokers in the United States: An Emerging Problem. Nicotine Tob Res 2017.
7. Wong J, Abrishami A, Riazi S, Siddiqui N, You-Ten E, Korman J, et al. A Perioperative Smoking Cessation Intervention With Varenicline, Counseling, and Fax Referral to a Telephone Quitline Versus a Brief Intervention: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Anesth Analg 2017; 125(2): 571-9.
8. Norman H, D'Souza MS. Endogenous opioid system: a promising target for future smoking cessation medications. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2017; 234(9-10): 1371-94.
9. Lee SH, Yun SJ, Ryu S, Choi SW, Kim HJ, Kang TK, et al. Taking varenicline for smoking cessation: A rare cause of pulmonary thromboembolism with infarction. Am J Emerg Med 2017; 35(7): 1037.
10. Sotiriou I, Chalkiadaki K, Nikolaidis C, Sidiropoulou K, Chatzaki E. Pharmacotherapy in smoking cessation: Corticotropin Releasing Factor receptors as emerging intervention targets. Neuropeptides 2017; 63: 49-57.
11. Buchman DZ, Skinner W, Illes J. Negotiating the Relationship Between Addiction, Ethics, and Brain Science. AJOB Neurosci 2010; 1(1): 36-45.
12. Wittchen HU, Hoch E, Klotsche J, Muehlig S. Smoking cessation in primary care - a randomized controlled trial of bupropione, nicotine replacements, CBT and a minimal intervention. Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 2011; 20(1): 28-39.
13. Cavallo DA, Cooney JL, Duhig AM, Smith AE, Liss TB, McFetridge AK, et al. Combining cognitive behavioral therapy with contingency management for smoking cessation in adolescent smokers: a preliminary comparison of two different CBT formats. Am J Addict 2007; 16(6): 468-74.
14. Beadman M, Das RK, Freeman TP, Scragg P, West R, Kamboj SK. A comparison of emotion regulation strategies in response to craving cognitions: Effects on smoking behaviour, craving and affect in dependent smokers. Behav Res Ther 2015; 69: 29-39.
15. Ruscio AC, Muench C, Brede E, Waters AJ. Effect of Brief Mindfulness Practice on Self-Reported Affect, Craving, and Smoking: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial Using Ecological Momentary Assessment. Nicotine Tob Res 2016; 18(1): 64-73.
16. Wu L, He Y, Jiang B, Zuo F, Liu Q, Zhang L, et al. Additional follow-up telephone counselling and initial smoking relapse: a longitudinal, controlled study. BMJ Open 2016; 6(4): e010795.
17. Song F, Huttunen-Lenz M, Holland R. Effectiveness of complex psycho-educational interventions for smoking relapse prevention: an exploratory meta-analysis. J Public Health (Oxf). 2010; 32(3): 350-9.
18. Byeon H. Association among smoking, depression, and anxiety: findings from a representative sample of Korean adolescents. PeerJ 2015; 3: e1288.
19. Wagena EJ, Kant I, van Amelsvoort LG, Wouters EF, van Schayck CP, Swaen GM. Risk of depression and anxiety in employees with chronic bronchitis: the modifying effect of cigarette smoking. Psychosom Med 2004; 66(5): 729-34.
20. Bland P. Smoking cessation improves anxiety depression. Practitioner 2014; 258(1769): 5.
21. Bolam B, West R, Gunnell D. Does smoking cessation cause depression and anxiety? Findings from the ATTEMPT cohort. Nicotine Tob Res 2011; 13(3): 209-14.
22. Tselebis A, Papaleftheris E, Balis E, Theotoka I, Ilias I. Smoking related to anxiety and depression in Greek medical staff. Psychol Rep 2003; 92(2): 529-32.
23. Leventhal AM, Zvolensky MJ. Anxiety, depression, and cigarette smoking: a transdiagnostic vulnerability framework to understanding emotion-smoking comorbidity. Psychol Bull 2015; 141(1): 176-212.
24. Lindstrom M. Commentary on Wang et al. (2017): Differing patterns of short-term transitions of nondaily smokers for different indicators of socioeconomic status (SES). Addiction 2017; 112(5): 873-4.
25. Shiffman S, Dunbar MS, Scholl SM, Tindle HA. Smoking motives of daily and non-daily smokers: a profile analysis. Drug Alcohol Depend 2012; 126(3): 362-8.
26. Lee DC, Peters JR, Adams ZW, Milich R, Lynam DR. Specific dimensions of impulsivity are differentially associated with daily and non-daily cigarette smoking in young adults. Addict Behav 2015; 46: 82-5.
27. Cooper TV, Taylor T, Murray A, DeBon MW, Vander Weg MW, Klesges RC, et al. Differences between intermittent and light daily smokers in a population of U.S. military recruits. Nicotine Tob Res 2010; 12(5): 465-73.
28. Schane RE, Ling PM, Glantz SA. Health effects of light and intermittent smoking: a review. Circulation 2010; 121(13): 1518-22.
29. Pinsker EA, Berg CJ, Nehl EJ, Prokhorov AV, Buchanan TS, Ahluwalia JS. Intent to quit among daily and non-daily college student smokers. Health Educ Res 2013; 28(2): 313-25.
30. Perkins KA, Conklin CA, Levine MD. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Smoking Cessation:A Practical Guidebook to the Most Effective Treatments: 1st Ed. Abingdon, United Kingdom Routledge 2007; 145-6
31. Hernandez-Lopez M, Luciano MC, Bricker JB, Roales-Nieto JG, Montesinos F. Acceptance and commitment therapy for smoking cessation: a preliminary study of its effectiveness in comparison with cognitive behavioral therapy. Psychol Addict Behav 2009; 23(4): 723-30.
32. Pinsker EA, Berg CJ, Nehl EJ, Prokhorov AV, Buchanan TS, Ahluwalia JS. Intent to quit among daily and non-daily college student smokers. Health Educ Res 2012; 28(2): 313-25.
33. Meysamie A, Ghaletaki R, Zhand N, Abbasi M. Cigarette smoking in iran. Iran J Public Health 2012; 41(2): 1-14.
34. Kaviani H, Mosavi A. Psychometric features of Beck Anxiety Inventory. Tehran Univ Med Sci 2008; 66(2): 41-8. [in Persian].
35. Ghassemzadeh H, Mojtabai R, Karamghadiri N, Ebrahimkhani N.Psychometric properties of a Persian-language version of the Beck Depression inventory—Seconf edition-Persian. Depression Anxiety l.2005;21(4):158-92.
36. Hojat M, Shapurian R, Mehryar AH. Psychometric properties of a Persian version of the short form of the Beck Depression inventory for Iranian college students. Psychological reports. 1986;59(1):331-8.
37. Berg CJ, Wen H, Cummings JR, Ahluwalia JS, Druss BG. Depression and substance abuse and dependency in relation to current smoking status and frequency of smoking among nondaily and daily smokers. Am J Addict 2013; 22(6): 581-9.
38. Berg CJ, Sutfin EL, Mendel J, Ahluwalia JS. Use of and interest in smoking cessation strategies among daily and nondaily college student smokers. J Am coll Health 2012; 60(3): 194-202
39. Stefan-Dabson K, Mohammadkhani P, Massah-Choulabi O. Psychometrics Characteristic of Beck Depression Inventory-II in Patients with Magor Depressive Disorder. Arch Rehabil 2007; 8(0): 82-0. [in Persian]
40. Collins BN, Lepore SJ. Association between anxiety and smoking in a sample of urban black men. J Immigr Minor Health 2009; 11(1): 29-34
41. Spitzer RL, Kroenke K, Williams JB, Lowe B. A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166(10): 1092-7
42. Mojtabai R, Crum RM. Cigarette smoking and onset of mood and anxiety disorders. Am J Public Health 2013; 103(9): 1656-65.
43. Fluharty M, Taylor AE, Grabski M, Munafo MR. The Association of Cigarette Smoking With Depression and Anxiety: A Systematic Review. Nicotine Tob Res 2017; 19(1): 3-13.
44. Markou A, Kosten TR, Koob GF. Neurobiological similarities in depression and drug dependence: a self-medication hypothesis. Neuropsychopharmacology 1998; 18(3): 135-74.