:: Volume 14, Issue 3 (Quarterly 2010) ::
Feyz 2010, 14(3): 249-255 Back to browse issues page
Evaluation of clinical and paraclinical findings of Kawazaki patients among children admitted in Kashan Shahid Beheshti hospital during 1998-2008
Ziba Mosaiebi, Amir Hosain Movahedian, Marzieh Heidarzadeh, Maryam Hojati *, Sayyed Gholam Abbas Mousavi
, hajesmaeily@yahoo.com
Abstract:   (7383 Views)

Background: Kawazaki is an acute febrile vasculitis accompanied by cardiovascular complications. This study was conducted for the evaluation of clinical and paraclinical findings of Kawasaki disease among the children admitted in Kashan Shahid Beheshti Hospital.

Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was carried out on 69 children diagnosed as Kawasaki. Medical documents of all cases were reviewed during the years 1998-2008 and all of the registered patients were invited to perform echocardiographic and cardiologic studies.

Results: Sixty-nine out of 44 Kawasaki patients (63.8%) were male and the remaining 25 (36.2%) were female. 37% of cases were admitted in spring. All patients had fever, 89.9% elevated ESR and 24.6% elevated LDH. Among the 71.20% of cases albumin was lower than the normal range and 51.2% and 40% had elevated ALT and AST, respectively. 18.8% of Kawasaki patients had unqualified Kawasaki. Among the 2 cases with cardiac complication the serum albumin was lower than the normal. An ascending trend for the incidence of Kawasaki was seen since1998 till 2008.

Conclusion: Considering the rising incidence of Kawasaki in recent years, paying careful attention to the disease signs, specially unqualified cases of Kawasaki in terms of on-time prescribing of Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG), prevention of complications and also the evaluation of serum albumin level seems very important.

Keywords: Kawasaki, Cardiac complications, Children
Full-Text [PDF 156 kb]   (5038 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Received: 2010/09/30 | Published: 2010/10/15

XML   Persian Abstract   Print

Rights and permissions
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Volume 14, Issue 3 (Quarterly 2010) Back to browse issues page