[Home ] [Archive]   [ فارسی ]  
:: Main :: About :: Current Issue :: Archive :: Search :: Submit :: Contact ::
:: Volume 1, Issue 1 (Quaterly 1997) ::
Feyz 1997, 1(1): 35-40 Back to browse issues page
Seroepidemiology of human Brucellosis in Kashan, 1996
Rezavan Moniri *, Kamran Dastegoli
, moniri@kaums.ac.ir
Abstract:   (13429 Views)

History and Objectives: Brucellosis is endemic in Iran and many cases have been reported in humans and animals. Therefore, this study was performed in 1996 to determine the prevalence of human brucellosis in Kashan.

Materials and Methods: A total of 2376 individuals were chosen for this study by multistage random sampling. Data was collected through interviews and questionnaires to record personal information, occupation, history of contact with livestock and use of non-pasteurized dairy products and fresh cheese. In each case, 5 milliliters of blood was drawn and sent to Kashan’s Central Laboratory for serum separation and Rose-Bengal and Wright serologic tests. Results were analyzed by calculating the statistic confidence interval.

Results: In the 2376 cases studied, 22 (0.9%) had antibodies for Malt fever, 17 of item (77.3%) being male and the other 5 (22.7%) female. Age mean and standard deviation of those infected was 32.7±15.9 years, 72.7% of them being under the age of 40. Sixteen positive cases (72.7%) had high-risk occupations. 19 positive cases (86.4%) had contact with livestock, 18 (81.8%) had used fresh cheese and 21 (95.5%) had used non-pasteurized dairy products.

Conclusion: We therefore determined the prevalence of Malt fever in Kashan to be 0.9%. The disease is more prevalent in males and a history of non-pasteurized dairy use, use of fresh cheese and contact with livestock are of the risk factors for this infection.

Full-Text [PDF 1106 kb]   (1982 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Received: 2008/11/25 | Published: 1997/04/15
Send email to the article author

Add your comments about this article
Your username or Email:


XML   Persian Abstract   Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Moniri R, Dastegoli K. Seroepidemiology of human Brucellosis in Kashan, 1996 . Feyz. 1997; 1 (1) :35-40
URL: http://feyz.kaums.ac.ir/article-1-624-en.html

Volume 1, Issue 1 (Quaterly 1997) Back to browse issues page
مجله علمی پژوهشی فیض ::: دانشگاه علوم پزشکی کاشان KAUMS Journal ( FEYZ )
Persian site map - English site map - Created in 0.06 seconds with 32 queries by YEKTAWEB 4140